The Choices Blog

History and Current Issues for the Classroom

Meet the Choices Staff – Kathie

Kathie – Administrative Manager

Tell us a little about yourself

I was born and raised here in Rhode Island and am considered the unofficial tour guide for out of towners that want to see a bit of our great state. I truly love RI!

I worked for a local public school system for over 20 years. That experience has served me well here at Choices and provides a different perspective of what schools may be looking for and how they operate.

What is your favorite Choices Curriculum Unit?

I have to pick one??!! While I don’t really have much spare time here to read, I do poke through our titles. I found the history of China very interesting and am now learning more on the Middle East and the conflicts in that area.

Tell us something interesting about yourself?

I am a big goofball who loves a good laugh. I also firmly believe you can change someone’s day with the way you interact with them, so I don’t sweat the small stuff and concentrate on being happy and kind. I am also a decent soccer player, love to garden, quilt and be outdoors (oh the list is endless!).

What is the best part about working on the Choices Staff?

I could score some great brownie points on this question ;-) Seriously though, I have never worked with such a great group of people. Collaboration is a central part of how we operate. There is a tremendous amount of mutual respect and never any finger pointing. If something isn’t right, it’s more the question on how we fix it then who is to blame.

If you could trade jobs with any other person on the Choices Staff who would it be and why?

Jillian (not that I really want her job) but I see what she outputs (amazing stuff!) and would love to have time to explore and play with more visual design stuff.

What is your favorite period in history/topic in social studies?

It is no joke when I say in my interview with Choices I was very clear that I hated history in high school (my worst subject and felt I should be up front and honest). I really feel if I had been taught with Choices materials it would have had a lot more meaningful. I learn something new here all the time and will continue to read through our titles to broaden my knowledge.

What does a typical day in the life of Kathie look like?

No day is the same here at Choices. My goal is to provide great customer service and keep the staff happy. My mornings always start with a cup of tea and then I dive right in to the normal admin stuff, answering thousands of emails (okay, maybe not thousands but a lot!) checking orders through our webstore, etc. At 10:30 I round staff up for our morning walk around the city. It’s a great opportunity for some fitness and fresh air! Once I return my day is a blur. I work closely with our student workers and other staff to ensure things run smoothly. If weather and time permit, an afternoon walk is squeezed in as well. Once my day here at Choices ends, it’s off to school where I am working on a computer degree. Somewhere in all of that I do manage to find time for family, friends and sleep ☺

1 Comment

1. For years I said you could run the Cranston School Department. You are a fantastic team person who is always fair. The greatest person to ever work with. Good Luck at Brown.