Tell us a little about yourself & your background

I grew up in North Carolina and began working for Choices after graduating from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. In college, I worked for an education non-profit at the NC General Assembly and studied education policy while living in Chile and Argentina. Both of these experiences continue to impact my work and research interests today.

What is your favorite Choices Curriculum Unit? Why?

When Maya and I arrived at Choices, the writing team was in the process of editing Freedom Now: The Civil Rights Movement in Mississippi. I immediately felt connected to this unit having spent time in Mississippi over the last few years and taken classes on the movement in college. I love this curriculum because it provides an intimate look at the experiences of activists and explores civil rights challenges that remain today. Plus, who wouldn’t be captivated by these amazing Scholars Online videos?

Tell us something interesting about yourself?

In high school, I worked at an old-fashioned soda shop for a few years. I can make a pretty great milkshake!

What is the best part about working on the Choices Staff?

There are so many great things about the Choices Staff, it is hard to narrow it down to one. But I’d have to say the best part about working here might be the fact that I am surrounded by people who are interested in what is going on in the world and also have a passion for education.

What is your favorite period in history/Topic in social studies?

Much of the history I’m interested in revolves around the 1960s and ‘70s. Ever since reading The Things They Carried in high school, I’ve been interested in the Vietnam War. In college, I enjoyed taking classes on the civil rights movement and, most recently, I’ve been trying to learn more about Latin American politics during this time. I enjoy learning about 1960s Latin America most through literature and art.

What are you working on now?

Maya and I are currently revising the unit, India’s Independence and the Question of Partition. The revised curriculum will focus on the experience of partition in the province of Bengal (modern day Bangladesh). I am thrilled about the revisions we’ve made based on our discussions with scholars at Brown and other universities.

What is the most interesting part of the curriculum design process?

I really enjoy working with the writing team to brainstorm unique ways we can present history, whether it’s through images, songs, or primary source documents. There’s a creative element to the process that makes writing Choices curricula exciting.