CISO Memo: Focus on Privacy

David SherryLet me add to the list of everyone that you know in wishing you a happy New Year. Like all of the Brown community, I am returning from our winter break and looking forward to starting off 2013 with a bang.

As you will read in another section of our Secure IT! newsletter, Brown is participating in National Data Privacy Month in January, which will culminate in a special event on Data Privacy Day, being held on January 28th.

The university is actually known as a “data privacy champion”, keeping with some very select company. I hope that you will follow along with all of our awareness efforts this month, and strongly consider attending some (or all!) of the event on the 28th.

As more and more of our lives become online, and our devices connect to everything everywhere, personal and professional privacy is not something to be taken lightly. The university diligently works on protecting our data both on campus and through our partners and vendors, and also provides tools for identifying and securing our data. While we may focus on the message for the month of January, privacy protection is occurring throughout the entire year.

As always, I welcome your comments and feedback. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at david_sherry@brown.edu, or the group at ISG@brown.edu. Let me know how we are doing, areas of concern you may have, or questions on protecting your identity or personal computing security. And remember, sec_rity is not complete without U!

Posted in Safe Computing, Winter 2013 Edition | Comments Off