Archive for the ‘Malware/Spyware’ Category
An audio recording of this meeting is available here.
Announcements – Chris Grossi
We’re down to two weeks left for the Symantec Antivirus license. CIS is tracking and running reports of machines that are still contacting the SAV server. ISG has sent reminders to departments that have many remaining SAV clients. We need to get full migration completed by the end of March to both ensure active and current client security, and to be in compliance with our licensing agreements and protect Brown from a license audit and penalties.
CIS has been working with SAS to extend licensing across campus, they are close to being ready to un-key SAS licensing. Standalone SAS will be available to departments before the end of the semester. Anyone using a keyed installation of SAS will need to uninstall their preior version and reinstall the new unkeyed version. Students are included in the licensing and can install SAS on their own computers.
By the end of this patch cycle, Windows machines managed in the CIS SCCM system will have their Microsoft updates managed by SCCM.
As part of Brown’s Dell contract, Dell will be running a Recycling Day on Friday 20 April (Earth Day weekend) to allow Brown-owned and personal equipment to be dropped off for recycling. Details are still being worked out, look for more information from CIS soon.
Qualtrics Online Survey Platform
Representatives of Qualtrics, a commercial service offering very high-quality hosted online survey building, deployment, and reporting, presented their platform. Their core features are:
- Sophisticated surveys made simple (built by a PhD survey researcher)
- 86 question types
- Advanced logic available
- Provides University control. delegated administration
- FERPA. IRB, PHI, HIPAA compliance – SSAE 16 Certified
- University owns the data
- Collaboration available with other researchers in the world even if they don’t have Qualtrics at their institution
- Extensive training and documentation both in using the service and in general research survey design
If you have any questions about the features and benefits of Qualtrics, feel free to contact Ryan Jackson, their representative, at email@example.com.
CIS is looking for feedback to see who else in the University would be interested. Send your feedback to Stephanie_Obodda@brown.edu. If you have direct feedback regarding the usefulness of Qualtrics to your department, you can also complete the CIS survey that is collecting departmental interest in the platfom.
Doug Wilkinson – CIS Network Technology Group (NTG)
NTG is comprised of:
- Network Security
- Network Engineering
- Network Operations
Any network tickets should be assigned to the Network Operations group, they triage and reassign as needed.
CommOps remains unchanged, still handle dead ports, tap requests, etc.
- Internet Border to OSHEAN – upgrading infrastructure to prepare for a future migration from redundant 1G to redundant 10g
- 5400 firewall decommission, reaching out to departments who are behind these obsolete devices
- NSZ moves
- PBX and SIP upgrade, now complete. SIP features and phones are in testing and will be deployed in new projects in the near future.
Doug’s slide deck is available here.