IHOB – JENNY HUANG

IHOB – JENNY HUANG

Interview by Ania Briscoe ’23.

Now, the place I feel most at home is my [Disney] acapella group. We meet a lot and we don’t just sing together; we watch movies together and study together. So I think home is the people who share the same interests and support you. 

International Humans of Brown (IHOB) introduces Jenny, a first-year student from China. She’s thinking about concentrating in theatre, music, or sociology.

Q: Where is home to you?

A: When I think about that, I think first about my home, like my family. And then I think about the people who share the same interest with me. Like in highschool, I did a lot of musicals and I think of home because we all had very close relationships with each other. Now, the place I feel most at home is my [Disney] acapella group. We meet a lot and we don’t just sing together; we watch movies together and study together. So I think home is the people who share the same interests and support you. 

Q: What made you want to come to Brown?

A: Brown was actually my only choice! I actually didn’t want to apply to Brown because I thought it was way too high for me but my teacher really wanted me to apply. So, I applied regular decision and it was really magical because all my target schools rejected me. And I finished Brown’s application one week before the deadline and I didn’t ask anyone to see it. I just wrote one draft and submitted it. And I got an offer. 

Q: How has your time here so far changed you?

A: There are so many opportunities here and a lot of things just happen unexpectedly. When I arrived at Brown, I wanted to do a lot of musicals because I love theatre and that’s what I’ve done for the past three years. Surprisingly, I didn’t do much theatre this semester! I’ve paid more attention to chorus and acapella. So I didn’t expect this but I feel really good about it. There’s no need to rush to do one thing. There’s a lot of time to explore. 

Q: How did you get interested in theatre?

A: My mom is a huge fan of theatre. She took me to the theatre when I was in middle school and I fell in love with it. First, I loved Chinese theatre. And then I started to explore musicals. When I got to high school, they were doing Les Miserables, which was also the first musical I ever saw. So I auditioned and got Cosette and that’s how I started high school theatre.

Q: What are your favorite classes so far?

A: Introduction to Modern Dance. I used to hate dance when I was a child and I thought, “I should try some dance here.”It was my first time taking a dance course and the teacher was really generous and I tried to explore as much as possible.