- PubMed Hit Statistics
Can you tell us how many hits there have been on the web page connecting Brown users to PubMed?
Submitted by T. Reis, April 03, 2006 8:42 AM
Status: Sent SFX click-throughs (340 Jan-Mar 2006) & EZProxy stats (obtained from Bob Morse).
- SFX and Full Text Journal Problem
I can no longer access full-text articles from medical journals from my computer here at the VA. This is something new this week. Something must have changed. Here are the scenarios, using common journals such as the Archives of General Psychiatry, NEJM, Psychological Medicine (to name today’s failures, just to start).
I go to PubMed, get the citation I want, click “SFX” and get redirected not to the specific article, as I used to, but to the journal website. I am asked to sign in and cannot “click” my way through without a user name or password. “revproxy” still shows in the address bar of my browser. Thus 2 things are wrong: I get directed not to the article but to the overall journal website, and I can’t get into the website. For example here, Psychol Med
As above, except I can get into the website, but can’t get any full texts, just the abstracts. For example here, Arch Gen Psych.
I notice that Pub Med has new aspects to its front end over the past month—e.g., in the search limit page. Perhaps this is part of the problem?
Submitted by MarK Bauer via A. Nolan, 4/9/2006 4:05 PM
- Josiah “Request This” Information
I am working with Lee Pedersen on her newsletter and she wants to link to information on “Request It” feature in Josiah. We looked for it this rmonign and couldn’t find a single page that had all the info – only when you call up an individual record can you see the options. Is there a page on the site for this?
Submitted by Sarah Bordac, April 07, 2006 1:40 PM
Status: Josiah help updated – http://library.brown.edu/screens/hstorage.html (jmr)
- Library Web – Sheet Music Site
I cannot open the links to the sheet music categories on this page:
Other friends can open the links so it is some setting on my laptop, which is running XP, and Windows Firewall. I have disabled the popup blocker. These are the only pages I have found on the web that I cannot open – I am used to searching the web, and have not run into this problem before on this computer.
Submitted by S. Korte via R. Cullen, 4/5/2006 12:38 PM
- Medical Connections – MySQL/PHP
I demoed the Medical Connections site for Janet, Tovah and Frank yesterday. They are happy, but have a few requests that I need your input on and help with. Take a look at these and let me know if you want to talk through any of them. Hopefully they are doable, but if not let me know. #8 is a tricky one that I know is a high priority item.
1) On the header navigation we’d like to add the library logo. Please replace the current image file with the attached 5_r3_c2.gif. That bar should still link to the Index page.
2) On the homepage
* link “Digital Services” to http://dl.lib.brown.edu/
* change the “NEWS” text on the red bar from black to white
* replace the graphic 13_r5_c6.gif with the attached file and link it to the new page under Custom Pages called “Getting Started”
* lighten the gray “news” box to #dddddd
3) When folks from the Medical School link on “Off-Campus Access” from the top nav bar, and they click on EZProxy, they want users to be linked back to the Medical Connections page. Does this mean we should have our own Off-Campus Access page?
4) I created a Contact us page under Custom Pages. Please link to this page from the homepage text “Brief Questions.” Can you put an include in this page at the top with the complete contact information for Janet, Frank and Tovah, as listed on the General page in the admin tool?
5) Topic Page: Online Medical Textbooks
The text that is coming up is not what is on the current site. When I go to the admin tool to make changes, it looks like the content is being pulled from somewhere, but there are error messages.
Also on Topics: Patient Information page – I want to swap the locations of Merck and MEDLINEplus. I get error messages on the admin tool page.
6) Topic Page: Evidence Based Health Care
In the blue box we want to switch the position of the Bibliography and Guidelines. Guidelines should be listed first in both the box and on the page.
7) The links to the third set of links on the left nav are not working.
* Evaluating Online Health Information
* Guides & Tutorials
* Tools for Writing, Citing and Publishing
* When Brown Doesn’t Own It
8) Databases: They want the ability to reorder the listings and merge no-fee in with the rest. They want to be able to put a few resources out of order at the top of the list.
I am meeting with Janet tomorrow to go over content requests and editing. We are going to go over the admin tool. We are meeting again as a group on 4/17 to review the site content, blogging, and site administration.
Submitted by S. Bordac, 4/4/2006 3:54 PM
Status: #3,5,6,7 done (jmr)
- Library Web – Newspapers Link
Regarding a link to newspaper holdings: I created a page on the Resource Guide for Reference (Rock & Sci) for the major newspaper databases http://dl.lib.brown.edu/gateway/program.php?programid=62&task=topic&topic_id=9 ; perhaps we could have a permanent link to that from the home page. It differs from the “newspapers” subject of e-journals in that it does not, at present, include the smaller and foreign language papers while it does list the newspaper holdings which are categorized as Databases, such as Lexis Nexis and Times Digital Archives.
A number of us in Gateway would like the have a permanent link from the homepage because the existing listings for newspapers are so buried in the webpage that patrons never find them; I think patrons would certainly appreciate an easy way to see what we have without having to call us to find out. If not a permanent link on the home page, perhaps a category for newspapers in the Subject listing of databases and/or Resource Guides, or a link on the “E-Resources” page.
Submitted by J. Martenson, 4/4/2006 5:45 PM
Requests – Week of April 3, 2006
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.