Exhibit | Christmas Seals

Christmas Seal

The Brown University Library is celebrating the holiday season with an exhibit of Christmas Seals, installed in three cases in the Anne S. K. Brown Military Collection Gallery at the John Hay Library. The exhibit will be on display through January 2015.

The U.S. Christmas Seal, whose first issue was designed by Emily Bissell (1861-1948), a Red Cross volunteer, was intended to save a small tuberculosis sanatorium on the Brandywine River near Wilmington, DE. Her cousin, Dr. Joseph Wales, was one of the staff physicians at the “Brandywine Shack,” an open-air tuberculosis sanatorium, and he asked for her help. The goal was to raise $300 through the sale of a special Christmas stamp that could be purchased for a penny at the local post office in Wilmington and attached to regular mail. Her inspiration for the fundraiser came from an article by journalist and social worker Jacob Reis, who write about the successful sale of Christmas Seals in Denmark in 1904.

Bissell was a member of the Delaware Chapter of the American Red Cross and received permission from the national organization to use the Red Cross emblem in her design, to which she added a wreath of holly and a “Merry Christmas” greeting. To finance the printing of the 1907 Christmas Seal, she borrowed $40 from a friend and arranged for credit from the Theodore Leonhardt and Son printing company of Philadelphia to print 50,000 stamps. The Christmas Seals were placed in small envelopes imprinted:

25 Christmas Stamps one penny apiece issued
by the Delaware Red Cross to stamp out the
White Plague.
Put this stamp with message bright
on every Christmas letter;
help the tuberculosis fight,
and make the New Year better.
These stamps do not carry
any kind of mail
but any kind of mail will
carry them.

On December 7, 1907, the first Christmas Seals were offered for sale at a table in the Wilmington Post Office and Emily Bissell herself purchased the first seal sold. However, overall sales were slow until the editor of the Philadelphia newspaper, the North American, became convinced of the importance of the fundraising campaign. He authorized columnist Leigh Mitchell Hodges to begin a series of daily articles under the heading, “Stamp Out Tuberculosis.” The rest of the 50,000 seals quickly sold and a new printing of 250,000 was ordered. Because it was late in the season, the second printing added the words, “Happy New Year.” By the end of the holidays, all 300,000 seals had been sold, raising $3,000 – ten times Emily Bissell’s original modest goal.

The Christmas Seals are part of the John Hay Library’s extensive collections of stamps, which includes the Knight Collection, the Peltz and Morriss Collections of Special Delivery Stamps, the George S. Champlin Memorial Stamp Collection of International Issues, the Robert T. Galkin Collection of First Day Covers, and the Irene Heneghan Stamp Collection. Click here for more information about Special Collections at Brown, including the stamp collections.

Dates: November 19, 2014 – January 31, 2015
Location: Anne S. K. Brown Gallery, John Hay Library, 20 Prospect Street, Providence

John Birch Society Records at the John Hay Library

John Birch Society

Robert Welch, founder of the John Birch Society shown in his Belmont (Mass.) headquarters with a painting of U.S. Army Capt. John Morrison Birch for whom the society was named. Birch was a Baptist soldier-missionary who was killed by communists in China in 1945.

A collection of records created by the John Birch Society are now available for research at the John Hay Library.  The records, the bulk of which date from 1965-1989, provide an excellent view into the work of the JBS and its mission “To bring about less government, more responsibility, and — with God’s help — a better world by providing leadership, education, and organized volunteer action in accordance with moral and Constitutional principles.”

The John Birch Society was founded in Indianapolis, Indiana, on December 9, 1958. Robert Welch, Jr. (1899–1985), a retired candy manufacturer, led the organization from its founding until his retirement in 1983. The original twelve founding members included Fred Koch (1900-1967), founder of Koch Industries, and Robert Waring Stoddard (1906-1984), president of Wyman-Gordon, a manufacturer of complex metal components. The Society was named in honor of John Birch, an American Baptist missionary and United States Army intelligence officer who was killed by Chinese communists on August 25, 1945, making him, in the Society’s view, the first casualty of the Cold War.

The Society has local chapters in all fifty states. It uses grassroots lobbying, educational meetings, petition drives and letter-writing campaigns to gain members and influence public policy. The goals of the society include limiting government and blocking an international conspiracy designed to replace Western nations with a one-world socialist government.  Accordingly, the Society has opposed any trade or diplomatic relations with communist countries and American membership in the United Nations. In addition, the Society opposes the federal income tax and the Federal Reserve system, Social Security, the Medicare program, the creation of the Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA), the transfer of control of the Panama Canal from the United States to the Republic of Panama, the Civil Rights Movement, sex education in public schools, and efforts to add fluoride to water supplies. While it supports the American military, it has opposed American military intervention overseas. The Society has operated Summer Youth Camps across the United States and produces radio programs, newspapers columns, and films.

This collection of JBS records totals 45 linear feet and dates from 1928-1990 (bulk 1965-1989) and includes correspondence, business files, publications and audio-visual material.  Additional information about JBS can be found in a related collection called the John Birch Society pamphlets (Ms.2014.001) which contains copies of their publications and newspaper articles about their activities.

To learn more about the John Birch Society and related collections consult the LibGuide on American Conservatism.

50th Anniversary of the Rock

“We students have adopted it as our own.”

–Nancy L. Buc ’65, President, Student Government Association,
Pembroke College, November 1964

 

Since its opening in November 1964, Brown students have embraced the John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library. Designed by the architectural firm of Warner, Burns, Toan, and Lunde, the “Rock,” at the time of its opening, was considered a “marvel of modern design and ingenuity” containing “every practical technical advancement…for the advantage of the bibliophile.” Among its state-of-the-art innovations in 1964 were:

Heating coils under the Rock steps to melt snow.

Pneumatic tube system of book request and retrieval.

PneumaticTube1PneumaticTube2PneumaticTube3

 

 

 

 

 

 

Custom-built, “wired” card catalog that included phone jacks to enable librarians to answer questions about library holdings.

CatalogPhone1 CatalogPhone2

CatalogPhone3

 

 

 

 

 

 

SlantedPeriodicalsSlanted shelving for periodicals and roll-out shelves in the reference stacks.

Today’s Rockefeller Library continues the tradition of providing innovative, state-of-the-art services to meet the needs of 21st century library users. The Patrick Ma Digital Scholarship Lab on the first floor of the Rock, with its 7´ x 16´ high-definition “video wall,” offers students and faculty a technology-rich environment for discovery, analysis, and collaboration. Hi-tech collaboration spaces in the Sorensen Family Reading Room facilitate group work by allowing a number of students to display and share their work on large computer screens. Group study rooms in the Laura and David Finn Reading Room and the Sorensen Family Reading Room provide students with spaces to work together in small groups or on team projects. And the Digital Studio, an upcoming renovation planned for summer 2015, will create a unique space on campus, offering a range of high-end collaborative environments with the latest interactive technologies, that will enable innovation in the humanities and interdisciplinary scholarship across the campus community.

SorensenRoomWideAngle

Rock at the Rock

Rock-at-the-Rock_6x8_ad_v2

On Friday, November 14 from 7:30 – 10 p.m., the Rock will rock with live band Diamond Doves as the Brown University Library celebrates the 50th anniversary of the John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library.

The Rock will close at 5 p.m. on the 14th to allow for event preparations. No library services will be available after 5 p.m. There will also be furniture removal throughout the day on Friday, and furniture return throughout the day on Saturday the 15th. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and hope you can join us at 7:30 p.m. when we Rock at the Rock.

Click here to visit the Rock at the Rock website, which has more information about the event and the band Diamond Doves.

Click here to RSVP to the event on Facebook!

Date: Friday, November 14, 2014
Time: 7:30 – 10 p.m.
Location: John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, 10 Prospect Street, Providence

Lecture | Wayland and Magaziner and (Much) More: The Brown Curriculum through the Years | Luther Spoehr

lspoehr_thumb

On Thursday, December 4 at 5:30 p.m. in the Lownes Room of the John Hay Library, Luther Spoehr, Senior Lecturer in Education, will give a talk, “Wayland and Magaziner and (Much) More: The Brown Curriculum through the Years.”

Has Brown always been a place of curricular innovation? Did Francis Wayland’s mid-19th century reforms foreshadow the New Curriculum of 1969? For 250 years, Brown’s undergraduate curriculum has sometimes stayed in step with its peers and sometimes struck out on its own. Spoehr’s talk will track the trajectory of this complex story of tradition and innovation.

This lecture is part of a series at the John Hay Library celebrating the University’s 250-year history. All lectures in the series highlight the University Archives’ “Elements of Tradition and Change” exhibit.

Please note, this lecture was originally planned for November 18. Professor of History Robert Self’s lecture, “The Embedded University: Social Change, Brown, and the Long 20th Century,” formerly planned for December 4, will be held in spring 2015. 

Date: Thursday, December 4, 2014
Location: Lownes Room, John Hay Library
Time: 5:30 p.m.

Updates From Around the Library (November 2014)

A photo for November Library Updates

The Library has been very busy this fall. Here are a few recent highlights from various Library blogs:

Lecture | Letters Home: Brown Alumni at War | Beth Taylor

Brown Town, 1946. Temporary housing for veterans of World War II erected near Marvel Gymnasium on the city-owned Sessions Street playground at the corner of Elmgrove Avenue and Sessions Street, Providence, RI

Brown Town, 1946. Temporary housing for veterans of World War II erected near Marvel Gymnasium on the city-owned Sessions Street playground at the corner of Elmgrove Avenue and Sessions Street, Providence, RI

On Wednesday, November 12 at 5:30 p.m. in the Lownes Room of the John Hay Library, Beth Taylor, Senior Lecturer in English, will give a talk, “Letters Home: Brown Alumni at War.” Taylor, who is co-director of Brown’s Nonfiction Writing Program, has been collecting oral histories, documents, photographs, memorabilia, and letters home from veterans or widows of veterans.

This lecture is part of series at the John Hay Library celebrating the University’s 250-year history. All lectures in the series highlight the University Archives’ “Elements of Tradition and Change” exhibit.
The next lecture in the series will take place on Thursday, December 4 at 5:30 p.m. in the Lownes Room, with Luther Spoehr, Senior Lecturer in Education. Spoehr’s talk is entitled, “Wayland and Magaziner and (Much) More: The Brown Curriculum through the Years.”

Date: Wednesday, November 12, 2014
Location: Lownes Room, John Hay Library
Time: 5:30 p.m.

Lovecraft and the Republic of Horror

Bloch19350731Lovecraft003

In July of 1935, Robert Bloch wrote to his epistolary mentor H. P. Lovecraft, care of Robert Barlow, whom Lovecraft was visiting in Florida. Bloch, then eighteen, wrote with excitement of an expanding network of writers and publishers he had met, either directly through Lovecraft or indirectly by his association with the influential author. The letter recounts a meeting of the Milwaukee Fictioneers, a group he had previously described as covering broad territory: “weird stuff … science fiction, western, detective, gangster, love, newspaper, sports, economics, novel, feature-syndicate, and radio fields ….” He continues with praise for Peter Lorre’s performance in “Mad Love,” entreating Lovecraft to “see it!”

Bloch, who would go on to pen Psycho, was perhaps the youngest of Lovecraft’s circle. Their correspondence began with a fan letter sent in 1933 and continued until Lovecraft’s death in 1937. Bloch was one of many in an expansive network of correspondents fueled by Lovecraft’s loquacity on paper. His correspondents included Barlow, August Derleth, Robert E. Howard, Clark Ashton Smith, and Donald Wandrei. Through letters and circulated manuscripts, this network of writers formalized the imagined community developing around the pulp magazines like Weird Tales, Amazing Stories, and Fantasy Fan in which they published and read.

H.P. Lovecraft was at the center of this developing community. Shortly after his death in 1937, Barlow, acting as Lovecraft’s literary executor, delivered the first donation of manuscripts and correspondence to the Brown University Library. Today, the H. P. Lovecraft Collection includes extensive holdings of manuscripts, letters, editions of Lovecraft’s works in 20 languages, periodicals, biographical and critical works, and numerous collections of manuscript and printed materials of Lovecraft friends and associates. To support research in this significant collection, the Brown University Library recently announced the S. T. Joshi Endowed Research Fellowship for research relating to H. P. Lovecraft, his associates, and literary heirs.

Lecture | Making a Campus on College Hill | Rob Emlen

robemlen Rob Emlen is the University Curator. He will be giving a lecture on November 4 at 5:30 p.m. in the John Hay Library. The lecture is titled: Making a Campus on College Hill: Sacrificing an Historic Neighborhood to Build a Better College

This lecture is part of series at the John Hay Library celebrating the University’s 250-year history. All the lectures in the series highlight the University Archives’ “Elements of Tradition and Change” exhibit.

Date: Tuesday, November 4, 2014
Location: Lownes Room, John Hay Library
Time: 5:30 p.m.

This Week’s Workshops (October 26—31)

20141028thisWeekWorkshops

Is everyone ready for some knowledge and learning? The Library has three workshops this week!

Citing and Publishing Your Research Data
October 28 | Noon | Digital Scholarship Lab

NVivo: An Introduction to the Software
October 30 | 3 pm | Hecker Center

Citing and Publishing Your Research Data
October 30 | 4 pm | Digital Scholarship Lab

These workshops are a fantastic opportunity for anyone interested in opportunities. Please register.