My experience of playing the video game Myst during lab was not what I had expected after reading Manovich’s Navigable Spaces. First of all, just like reading Patchwork Girl, we had to enter the “old world” by opening up the outdated Macintosh OS interface. Upon starting the game, it took me a while to get used to the navigation. In fact, I found it hard to believe that the game was once popular in the 90’s. The user interface was hard to maneuver because the screen jumped from one scene to the next as the player moved forward in the virtual world. It reminded me a lot of a game I played for a User Interfaces course, called Black and White, in which the users navigate through a space by “dragging” the ground—the visual experience was much smoother, allowing me to understand the logic of the game more quickly.

However, upon second thought, I realized the significance of my initial repulsion and eventual awe at this outdated game. From the article, I had imagined the modern game interfaces, as many games whose objective is to explore a virtual world exist today. To think of a world that had not known such 3D space projected on the screen is beyond absurd. Yet, this “old world” (again) was merely two decades ago. It is incredibly fascinating to realize that most people now are seeing and experiencing reality everyday by looking into a mere screen. I cannot help but wonder what would be of our future, with the technological advancements at such fast speed.