Lit. Review

After a quick but brain-boggling look at Machine Learning yesterday, we returned to more HCI oriented papers today. I chose to read CAMP: A Magnetic Poetry Interface for End-User Programming of Capture Applications for the Home (Truong et al.).

The secret to controlling your smart home?

I made the usual summary in my research wiki, and here’s an excerpt:

The researchers developed a GUI for their smart-home data-capture software that uses a magnetic poetry metaphor to allow users to make their own “recipes”. The key insight the developers had was that users think in terms of actions or tasks they want to happen, and not in terms of devices. Their GUI claims to take advantage of this pre-existing conceptual model of the user by allowing them to frame almost naturalistic sentences (for instance: record the dinner conversation, take photos of Billy, remember dinner time). The true beauty of magnetic poetry is that it restricts possibilities by having a small set of vocabulary but provides an easy to understand command language with a great amount of flexibility (and possibility) through various permutations.

Lab Work

Tried setting up Helios on my machine. The documentation was missing the nitty-gritty details, and I’ll probably update it after Helios gets working on my laptop.

Jared is dropping by late afternoon for an IFTTT and Kinect brain-dump session. I am just about ready to start coding (the magnetic poetry paper was quite exciting) and hope that next week we can work on the fake data generator (which will send data to Helios, from where we’ll analyse it using Weka)!