About me

I am a student at Brown University concentrating in Archaeology and the Ancient World (as a member of the Swearer Center’s Engaged Scholars Program) and also completing an Independent Concentration in Critical Thought and Global Social Inquiry. In 2019–20 I will be an Undergraduate Fellow at the Cogut Institute for the Humanities. I serve as an undergraduate representative on the College Curriculum Council and play clarinet in the Brown University Orchestra and various groups on campus.

My work is broadly concerned with non-colonial forms of world-making. My senior thesis explores the thought of Hannah Arendt to investigate precolonial, decolonial, and postcolonial figures of the world. I am especially interested in placing Arendt’s ideas of action and natality as forces that open up the world against her Hegelian, Marxist, phenomenological, and Augustinian influences. I am equally committed to exploring non-colonial forms of world-making through more empirical methods. For instance, I am currently involved in an NSF-funded project that uses isotopic analysis of early modern North Atlantic textiles to explore patterns of trade, globalization, and women’s labor. I also work on a project on John Wesley Gilbert, the first African-American to earn a graduate degree from Brown University and to attend the American School of Classical Studies at Athens. My commitment to engaged scholarship runs through my work. For instance, I have worked on archaeological ethnography and community archaeology projects in Koutroulou Magoula, a Neolithic site in central Greece. I have also worked with Women’s Refugee Care, a Providence NGO founded and run by Congolese refugees, to conduct and translate interviews for their website. For more examples of my work, please see my portfolio.

Curriculum vitae