British cavalryman riding past St. Marylebone Parish Church

In the Military Collection is a rather interesting watercolor measuring 32 x 45 cm. depicting a soldier riding past a church. Until recently, it was cataloged as just that: ‘British Cavalryman riding by Church, circa 1820’.

However, a recent examination of this picture as part of the digital curation of the archive revealed that the church is in fact St. Marylebone Parish Church situated on the Marylebone Road opposite John Nash’s York Gate entrance to The Regent’s Park, close to Madame Tussaud’s in London. This rather distinctive church with a Corinthian portico and eight columns dates from 1813-1817 and was inspired by the Pantheon in Rome.

The figure represents a cavalryman wearing stable dress riding eastwards, and the watercolor was probably intended to show the relatively new church rather than the soldier who may have been included for scale.

Comments are closed.