Alzheimer’s Disease

Popular (secondary) piece:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/14/health/alzheimers-disease-conference/index.html?hpt=he_c2

Primary Article:

https://honors.usf.edu/documents/Thesis/U12419052.pdf

Summary of “5 things you didn’t know about Alzheimer’s”

CNN’s article “ 5 things you didn’t know about Alzheimer’s” discusses the future of Alzheimer’s, how to lower your risk for Alzheimer’s, and the simplicity of detecting Alzheimer’s in the future. Firstly, already about 40 million people live with Dementia and Alzheimer’s. Scientists predict that by 2050, almost 115 million people will be living with Alzheimer’s. That means about 1 in 100 people will be living with Alzheimer’s.  In the light of these surprising future growth numbers, the Alzheimer’s Association held a conference in early July to discuss the research. Secondly, the article talks about how many ways you can lower your risk all throughout life. Studies show middle age people benefit greatly from playing games and exercising your mind on a daily basis. Even working out your body can help avoid this disease. A Mayo Clinic study shows that exercising seemed to prevent the development of Alzheimer’s. Lastly, in the future, Alzheimer’s could be very easy to detect. Scientists have seen an odd trend that people who are in the early stages of developing Alzheimer’s have trouble differentiating between odors. A small sniff test could show early Alzheimer’s. “Early detection means early intervention and treatment…”, says the article. This, while not a cure, could take us in a huge step in the fight against Alzheimer’s.

Summary of “Thesis: Diagnosis and Treatment of Alzheimer’s Disease: Current Challenges

This primary source from University of South Florida goes over the differences of dementia and Alzheimer’s, diagnosis of Alzheimer’s, and the treatment of the disease. In the opening, the article discusses the possibility of a new diagnosing technique (could be the same technique from the CNN article). According to the passage, 5.3 million Americans are effected by Alzheimer’s today; but no future estimate is given. The first main section talks of the difference of dementia and Alzheimer’s. Dementia can be roughly defined as a loss of cognitive ability that is significant enough to affect social interactions. AD ( Alzheimer’s Disease) is a common type of dementia which is created by a build up of plaque in the brain. The second section talks of diagnosis and symptoms. AD can be split up into 3 sections that range from 2 years to 10 years in length. Diagnosing by mere observations can be difficult in the first stage because forgetfulness or slower recall of information is also a natural part of aging. The second, and longest stage, is easily diagnosable and brings a drastic change in life. AD is easily diagnosed by an MRI. Lastly, there is no cure for AD but there are many drugs that slow the progression of the disease and treat symptoms.

o   Do you think the popular piece accurately reflects the scientific finding? I do think that CNN accurately reflected the scientific thesis I found.

o   How are these two different? The CNN article is much easier to read and is most likely for the reading level of someone with absolutely no experience in any science.

o   Where is the aspects exaggerated or misrepresented? I think the CNN article may have exaggerated the future growth of the disease.

o   How would you improve the popular media piece? I actually thought the piece was really well written and well presented. I wouldn’t change much, but if I had to I would give some of the biochemistry behind how AD works.

3 responses to “Alzheimer’s Disease”

1. Aiswarya Nagasubramony says:

That was an informative article. For someone who is not looking for a complicated article filled with unrecognizable words, I agree that a secondary article like this is a good source of information.

2. Grace Frost says:

What was the reasoning behind the rising number of those living with Alzheimer’s? Could it be lifestyle, or maybe just that the average life expectancy is increasing?

3. Brooke Nawrocki says:

I also chose a piece from CNN and found that, for the most part, it was accurately written. The piece you chose seems to be well-detailed and give an accurate analysis of the primary findings.