Norepinephrine

I chose norepinephrine, an excitatory neurotransmitter that causes the brain to feelĀ of intense focus and awareness. I chose it because I had remembered hearing about it from biology class, when we were studying the endocrine system. I knew that the adrenal glands released epinephrine and norepinephrine, but I didn’t know anything about norepinephrine’s dual function as a chemical neurotransmitter. Thus, it was interesting to learn about the many different effects when norepinephrine bonds to synaptic receptors.

I tried to convey that norepinephrine is an excitatory molecule. All of norepinephrine’s effects are somehow related to energy and excitement: increasing blood flow to the brain, activating glucose energy stores, causing a sense of awareness, activating the fight-or-flight response, increasing heart rate, etc. That’s why I chose the title “In the Zone” for this Zine.

In terms of creative process, I tried not to let the pictures and gimmicks interfere with the overall scientific information. I did use shading, and I added pictures of lightning bolts and frightened faces because they fit with my theme. Otherwise, I let my natural instincts decide how to embellish things.

Gong.Zine