Brain-controlled Smart Home

Although I think brain imaging and other methods of researching the brain are extremely interesting and important, for this assignment, I didn’t want to create a piece of technology that can only research the brain. Instead, I wanted to create a piece of technology that has a specific function that can help people. I wanted this technology to be able to help people who are wheelchair bound due to neurological disorders, brain injuries, paralysis, or other movement disorders become more independent. Today, there are “smart homes” in which almost anything can be controlled by iPhones, tablets, or special remotes. Instead of a phone or other device controlling the smart home, the technology that I created would be able to control it.

This device would be similar to a brain pacemaker, a small device implanted in the brain that provides electrical signals to the brain, that can, for example, prevent a seizure. But my device would work the opposite way: instead of sending signals to the brain, the device would receive signals from the brain and amplify them. The device would be connected to a wireless network, as would various devices inside the smart home. When a person with the device thinks “turn the television on”, for example, the electrical signal from the brain would travel to the brain device and then be transmitted to the television, turning it on. This would eliminate the need for the iPhone or other device that controls the smart home; just brain signals themselves would be able to control all of the devices in the smart home that an iPhone could. This device would ultimately improve the quality of life of wheelchair bound people, especially quadriplegics, as they can gain more independence by being able to control things and do things on their own.

Fortunately, smart homes are already a real technology, and they are becoming increasingly popular. As more devices in the house are able to connect to the smart home, I imagine they will become even more popular, and even more advantageous to the people that I designed the device for. One thing that must improve before this technology is possible is the strength and reliability of wireless signals. Without a reliable wireless signal, the device would be useless. Without a strong wireless signal, brain signals would be able to control fewer devices in the home. Imagine being able to control anything in your home with the device one minute, and then the wireless signal disappears and you can no longer control anything. This would be extremely frustrating for anyone with this device. I don’t think that more developments in smart homes will take too long, and developing a stronger and more reliable wireless signal should not take too long either. The part of developing this device that would take the longest time is figuring out how the device would receive only the brain signals that can control the smart home, so that other brain signals cannot confuse the device. Because brain research is also becoming increasingly popular, hopefully someone would be able to figure out this problem. I hope that this device would be created and able to work successfully in the next 10-20 years.

brain device

One response to “Brain-controlled Smart Home”

1. Aiswarya Nagasubramony says:

Wow, if this was really developed in the next few years, it would be such a huge achievement.