Final Project: Neurogenetics

My final project is an online poster with a brief introduction into neurogenetics. Here’s the link:

https://magic.piktochart.com/output/2431357-neurogenetics

I chose neurogenetics because I’ve always had a particularly keen interest in genetics. Over the course, I’ve seen how closely linked genetics and neuroscience is, particularly regarding neurological disorders, and I wanted to explore that a little more. The final product is perhaps not as in depth as I was hoping to go, but I think it still highlights the most important aspects of what neurogenetics is really about.

My project is aimed towards high schoolers with minimal background in either genetics or neuroscience. I was originally planning on doing more of an infographic, but I wanted to include explanations that were more…well, explanatory. That’s how I ended up with a poster of sorts. It combines the high level of interest that accompanies the bold graphics and colors of an infographic, but still doesn’t compromise on content.

I hope you guys like it!

Sources:

Bean, Andrew, Ph. D. “Genetics and Neuronal Disease (Section 1, Chapter 15).” Neuroscience Online: An Electronic Textbook for the Neurosciences. Ed. John H. Byrne. Department of Neurobiology and Anatomy – The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, n.d. Web. 06 Aug. 2014.

Greenstein, P., and T. D. Bird. “Neurogenetics. Triumphs and Challenges.” Western Journal of Medicine (1994): 242-45. PubMed Central. Web. 6 Aug. 2014.

“Huntington Disease.” Genetics Home Reference. U.S. National Library of Medicine, June 2013. Web. 06 Aug. 2014.

Huntington, George. “On Chorea.” The Medical and Surgical Reporter: A Weekly Journal 26.15 (1872): 317-21. Wikisource. Web. 6 Aug. 2014.

5 responses to “Final Project: Neurogenetics”

1. Brooke Nawrocki says:

I really loved the medium you chose. It was clean, entertaining, and eye-catching. You did a really great job of keeping the information simple so it will relate to a wider audience.

2. Carlos Aizenman says:

That’s a great poster! Very informative and accessible, and I like how you tied a specific example at the end. I also really liked the platform you chose to build the poster in.

3. Brianna Margaret Cathey says:

Your poster is awesome! I chose the same medium. You did a great job with the layout and the information is very well organized. Also, I like the bit on Huntington’s disease, that has always interested me.

4. Swathi Srinivasan says:

Your poster looks fantastic! There’s enough information and its easy to follow. Great job, it’s so colorful!

5. Aliya Saffran says:

Your poster is really cool! I like the layout and the colors and the pictures that you included. The information was interesting and the poster made the information easy to follow.