Scintillating Grid

Full-size image (80 K)

This optical illusion is known as the Scintillating Grid. This illusion was discovered by E. Lingelbach. If you scan the picture, scintillating black dots will appear over the white dots. This illusion has always fascinated me because it seems very simple but it extremely complex in reality. I always wanted to focus on one dot that was black but never could. Along with that, i never could really figure out whether the dots were black or white. Most illusions involve stationary lines bending or moving but this illusion is unique because the black dots seem to move and change color as you follow them.

The retina in the eye are composed of small nerves that function as light receptors. It has been known that you can illuminate on ¬†a single receptor (R) without illuminating its neighbors. But adding illumination to R’s neighbors causes its response to decrease. This is known as ;lateral inhibition. The dark spots appear because light is coming from 4 sections of the grid but 2 sides have bands that going away from the intersection point. The region viewing the intersection is more ¬†hindered than the region of the band leaving the intersection. This causes the intersection to seem darker than the other section. This shows that the visual system creates false images from color distortion due to the brain being unable to comprehend the picture.

One response to “Scintillating Grid”

1. Aroosa Cheema says:

I also included a scintillating grid in my illusion. It was interesting to see what your explanation for the illusion was.