Neuro-Tech

photo

During my 8th grade year I had to give a presentation on autism, because we were studying genetic diseases.  Due to the fact that I have had some previous knowledge and exposure to the subject, I have decided to design a microchip system for autistic children.  This advanced system is going to be utilized to measure the mental capacity, functions, capability, and academic potential that autistic kids contain.  Through some research, I learned that autistic kids contain more academic potential than other children, but it is very hard to bring that potential to life.  It is puzzling to why this is this case. Thus, I believe it would be quite interesting to find out how the brains and learning ability of autistic students in the 8th grade differ from the average student.

Dr. Menon, a professor at Stanford University, recently said to Fox News that “Understanding brain systems and signaling processes that are inflexible is an important step for characterizing the neurobiological correlates of autism,” Menon said. “We suggest that the brain measures developed in our study might be useful for indexing response to treatment, for better characterizing systems which are inflexible, and designing interventions that target those systems.” Scientists such as Menon believe that autistic children are different due to the inflexibility of their brain.  Additionally, they believe problems are also caused due to trouble with communication between the hemispheres and other parts of the brain. These communication problems are caused, as Stephanie Watson reported in her article Autism Basics by “Irregularities in the brain structures themselves, such as in the corpus callosum (which facilitates communication between the two hemispheres of the brain), amygdala (which affects emotion and social behavior), and cerebellum (which is involved with motor activity, balance, and coordination). They believe these abnormalities occur during prenatal development”. There are also differences in neurotransmitter, chiefly glutamate and serotonine.

My mechanical neurotransmitter is meant to find these specific inflexibilities and test brain imbalances.  As seen on the diagram a chip is implanted in the patient’s brain and is connected to a wireless receptor which is attached to a data analyzer and computer.  The computer will track a series of mental tests which will test things like emotional, physical, and mental responses of the autistic patient. In another room a regular student will also be attached to a separate microchip system.  The microchip, as seen in the picture, will have wires connecting to all parts of the brain.  All of the tests conducted will see if

In order for my invention to work there needs to be certain technological advances.  Firstly, there needs to be a way to fit a micro chip safely into a child’s mind.  Even though brain implants are mostly successful they need to be perfected in order for this experiment to successfully work.  Additionally, there needs to be a way for the chip to be routed to a wireless connector.  Without this no data can be effectively collected.  I would assume that my invention can realistically be possible in the next 2-3 years.  With the recent brain implants being conducted by scientists and surgeons I assume technology will be good enough to make this type of design work.

Sources

Kwan, N. (2014, July 29). For children with autism, brain inflexibility may explain behavior. Fox News. Retrieved July 30, 2014, from http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/07/29/for-children-with-autism-brain-inflexibility-may-explain-behavior/

Watson, S. (n.d.). HowStuffWorks “The Autistic Brain”. HowStuffWorks. Retrieved July 30, 2014, from http://health.howstuffworks.com/mental-health/autism/autism3.htm

2 responses to “Neuro-Tech”

1. Carlos Aizenman says:

It is reminiscent of deep brain stimulation, a technique used to treat a number of disorders.

2. Joonho Jo says:

How would you suppose placing the chip inside the human’s brain? Do you think you would include the chip in a transplant?