Final Project: The Neural Benefits of Bilingualism

My final project is about the neural benefits of bilingualism. I chose this topic, because I have always been interested in languages, and I wanted to see how this affects the brain. I also know that there are a lot of people in this course that would be able to relate to it. I talk about major areas in the brain, and how they seem to be affected by bilingualism. I made an infograph, because I wanted something that was fun to look at, and interesting to read at the same time. 

Final Project_The Neural Benefits to Bilingualism

Sources:

Costa, Albert, Mireia Hernández, and Nuria Sebastián-Gallés. “Bilingualism aids conflict resolution: Evidence from the ANT task.” Cognition 106.1 (2008): 59-86.

Gold, Brian T., et al. “Lifelong bilingualism maintains neural efficiency for cognitive control in aging.” The Journal of Neuroscience 33.2 (2013): 387-396.

Gold, Brian T., Nathan F. Johnson, and David K. Powell. “Lifelong bilingualism contributes to cognitive reserve against white matter integrity declines in aging.” Neuropsychologia 51.13 (2013): 2841-2846.

Kovelman, Ioulia, Stephanie A. Baker, and Laura-Ann Petitto. “Bilingual and monolingual brains compared: a functional magnetic resonance imaging investigation of syntactic processing and a possible “neural signature” of bilingualism.” Journal of cognitive neuroscience 20.1 (2008): 153-169.

Krizman, Jennifer, et al. “Bilingualism increases neural response consistency and attentional control: Evidence for sensory and cognitive coupling.” Brain and language 128.1 (2014): 34-40.

Mechelli, Andrea, et al. “Neurolinguistics: structural plasticity in the bilingual brain.” Nature 431.7010 (2004): 757-757. 

Ofan, Renana H., and Ehud Zohary. “Visual cortex activation in bilingual blind individuals during use of native and second language.” Cerebral Cortex 17.6 (2007): 1249-1259.

Stocco, Andrea, et al. “Bilingual brain training: A neurobiological framework of how bilingual experience improves executive function.” International Journal of Bilingualism 18.1 (2014): 67-92.

10 responses to “Final Project: The Neural Benefits of Bilingualism”

1. Saachi Gopal says:

I really enjoyed your project! Not only was it informative, it was visually appealing!

2. Carlos Aizenman says:

That is both beautiful and informative! I didn’t know being bilingual was so beneficial (and now feel lucky to be bilingual). And the findings about the blind people were extremely interesting, I’m going to go look at that study now!

3. Isabella DeCarlo says:

Great project! It is very pretty, and looks like it was done professionally. The content is very interesting, especially to me because I am multilingual. What program did you use to create your infographic?

4. Teja Kadewari says:

I enjoyed how your project was both informative and fun. I didn’t realize how being able to speak different languages was so helpful to the brain.

5. Samantha Nell says:

I really loved your project! In particular, I found the information about how blind bilingual people actually use their visual centers in their brain for language purpose really interesting. Great work!

6. Laura Kloepper says:

Thanks to you I learned a new resource–I didn’t know there was something already in place to create your own infographic! This looks very professional and I could see this up in a doctors office somewhere. I always knew that there was some benefit to being bilingual, but now I know more of the reasons why!