The National Endowment for the Humanities recently awarded a grant to Brown University for a two-year project titled “Irregular Warfare: Experiences Across the Civil-Military Divide.” The broader aim of the NEH program is to foster conversation as a means of bridging the gap between the 1 percent of the US population whose family members serve in the military and the other 99 percent.

The Brown project is two-fold. It aims to build community among veterans enrolling at Providence-area colleges while creating links both to the wider community of veterans and to civilians seeking a deeper understanding of the experience of war.  It also includes week-long programs in August 2017 and 2018 for veterans who are enrolling at Brown and area colleges to equip them with the skills and knowledge they’ll need for the critical study of the humanities, and an extended series of book and film discussions led by veterans and humanities faculty, which will be open to the public. Through these public events, student veterans can continue their own conversations, as well as be in contact with a larger number of Rhode Island veterans and others interested in understanding the shared human experience of war

“Irregular Warfare: Experiences across the Civil-Military Divide” is funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities, through its “Dialogues on the Experience of War” program.

Any views, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this {article, book, exhibition, film, program, database, report, Web resource}, do not necessarily represent those of the National Endowment for the Humanities.”

The National Endowment for the Humanities is an independent federal agency funded in 1965. They have become one of the largest funders of humanities programs in the United States. Their goal is to promote excellence in the humanities. Please visit their website here for more information.

For more information about the program and upcoming events please email us at [email protected]