Devlog 03: Battling Time and Medium Constraints

Jarod Boone ’20

There are plenty of problems you can run into when developing anything. Whether you are designing a high level computer application or making a sandwich, the act of creating is often plagued by the unexpected and requires some level of forethought. Prior to working on the Gaspee project, I had never developed anything even remotely close to a VR production, so I had little idea what to expect. Needless to say, this naiveté doesn’t exactly help the innately volatile design process. However, nothing is unachievable with the powers of helpful advising and Google™ Search!

The main problems with development that I have been running into are medium adjustment and time. The time constraint is being felt heavily; the college workload is no joke. The medium issue, however, is even more difficult. I spent the majority of pre-production familiarizing myself with Unity and design directly from the Unity HUD and now the team has switched to designing assets using Tilt Brush. One of the most crucial parts of development is selecting what medium to develop through.  Not only does this choice significantly alter the final product, it can also significantly shift production workflow. It was unexpected and time consuming to try and learn a new medium of production but I am slowly getting the hang of it. One upside is that there are definitely fewer technical bugs to work out in Tilt Brush and the software offers some exciting new directions we can take aesthetically.

My current work is on a subsection of the aftermath scene. In this scene, we plan to summarize the historical implications of the Gaspee Affair as well as tie up some loose ends surrounding key figures in the event and where their stories ended up. I am currently compiling assets and objects in Tilt Brush that I will incorporate into a Unity space. The assets I am working on are mostly ornamental and offer a breadth of immersion to a given space in  the Aftermath Hub of the experience. They include odds and ends meant to indicate aspects of the time period or pertain to some specific event. Most of them are simply environment pieces meant to capture a certain “vibe,” but I also plan to design some with interactive and educational elements.