IHOB - AMIENNE SPENCER-BLUME

IHOB – AMIENNE SPENCER-BLUME

Interview by Aanchal Sheth ’23.

The same way we have inner clocks, we spacially position ourselves within the world. Shifting my inner map to center on the other side of the Atlantic has made it even more obvious how relative perspective is.

International Humans of Brown (IHOB) introduces Amienne, an undergraduate student who identifies as German-American. She is thinking about concentrating in International Relations.

Q: What is it like being an international student here?

A: Being German-American, it was interesting to find out all the things I thought I knew, but I didn’t. Growing up in a different country and identifying with another makes you forget that you didn’t actually live in that country. There are a lot of things that I didn’t expect.

Q: If you had one piece of advice to give an international student, what would it be?

A: If you don’t expect things to be familiar, I think it’s easier to feel comfortable in a new place. To know that it’s really an amazing experience to be allowed to see the workd from so many different perspectives. A lot of the American students don’t have these opportunities, and while you may think that a lot of people have an easier time going about things, it’s not necessarily better for them. It’s important to appreciate the value of things being difficult.