Each year the Instructional Technology Group presents the Teaching with Technology Award to instructors whose courses have been nominated by students, faculty and staff for the most effective use of technology in advancing teaching and learning goals. The award is co-sponsored by CIS and the Dean of the College, in collaboration with the University Library, and the Sheridan Center for Teaching and Learning.
The awards are judged according to two categories:
- The Model Course Award recognizes instructors who integrate technology into their course in ways that engage students and enhance student learning. The exemplary use of technology by these instructors demonstrate the benefits of mindfully adopting technology to further the classroom experience.
- The Showcase Award is presented to instructors who transform the student learning experience by pushing the limits of teaching with technology. These instructors recognize the benefits of experiential course design and adopt innovative technologies to create learning opportunities through adaptive teaching. Other questions for consideration:
- In what ways could peers adopt or integrate methodologies applied by this instructor?
- In what ways did the instructor foster student collaboration in the course or facilitate discussion?
- Did the instructor engage learners through the effective use of multimedia?
- Did learners participate in creating multimedia projects?
- What sort of materials were available (syllabus, lecture notes, links to external resources)?
- Did the instructor make use of the Library’s electronic resources?
- Did the course have video, audio or other unique features?
- Was the course well organized and visually appealing?
- Did the course have online assessments or assignments?
- In what ways did the students engage technology to demonstrate their own learning?
- In what ways would the course have been different without technology?
Review of nominations:
We request the participation of students, staff and faculty from across all areas of the university. In the past our review panel has included:
- Brown Undergraduate Student
- CIS – Academic Technology – ITG
- Dean of the College
- Faculty – past award winners
- Sheridan Center
- University Library
Winners receive an award at the annual University Award Ceremony to recognize their efforts and give them a chance to discuss their work with the ceremony attendees.