GIZA , EGYPT ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD TRAINING
January 31—March 26, 2015
Ancient Egypt Research Associates (AERA) has run 10 archaeological field schools since 2005 in Egypt at Giza, Luxor and Memphis. The 2015 Archaeological Field Training program is collaboration with the American University in Cairo (AUC), which will award 8 academic credits for successful completion of the field school. The program is open to both AUC and other graduate and undergraduate students from around the world.
This eight-week, comprehensive package covers tuition for eight academic credits from The American University in Cairo, accommodations and on-site food, tool kit and supplies, medical insurance, local transportation, and field trips to archaeological sites. Instruction will be provided by Ancient Egypt Research Associates and the Egyptology program of the American University in Cairo.*
ACADEMIC PROGRAM and DETAILS
- Designed for upper level undergraduate and graduate students from Egypt and abroad, with instruction by both Egyptian and foreign specialists and teachers.
- Work in research teams of five or six fellow students, with an instructor and material culture specialist. Excavate for six weeks, followed by one work week in the lab. Students will take weekly tests, write six weekly reports, attend lectures, and complete one final report for incorporation into Ancient Egypt Research Associates’ Archives.
- Learn systematic excavation and recording techniques including drawing, survey, and photography.
- Survey diverse archaeological structures on the southern Giza Plateau, ranging from mudbrick to stone monuments.
- Retrieve and analyze material culture while placing it in the context of life in an ancient settlement, including ceramic, floral, faunal, and lithic evidence.
- Study the excavation of human remains with bio-archaeologists.
- Learn to use a computer database and spreadsheet applications to manage and analyze information.
More information and application forms can be found at: http://www.aeraweb.org/field-training/. Please note that the deadline for applying is May 30, 2014.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information or for any questions you may have.