The Brown University Library buildings are closed with virtual services available at email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, and library.brown.edu.
In line with the University’s updated response to the COVID-19 crisis (dated March 14, 2020), which calls for essential staff on campus only, Library facilities will be closed. We will be providing many services virtually.
Requests for Library Support
To request research support and inquire about Library services, email the following:
- For Special Collections and the John Hay Library: email@example.com
- For all other library-related inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Faculty and Research Support
We are providing virtual services, including research consultations, online reserves requests, and instruction. Subject librarians can be reached by email and on chat, which will be staffed Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Teaching Support guide for instructors
- Research Support guide for students
- Provide Library content directly in Canvas using the LibApps External Tool
Checking Out Library Materials
Checking-out of physical materials from Brown University Library, interlibrary loan, and BorrowDirect have been suspended until further notice. We will reassess all Library services on an ongoing basis and will post frequent updates here. In the meantime, patrons are asked to keep any items now in their possession–including those obtained through Borrow Direct, easyBorrow, and ILLiad– until the libraries reopen. All fines and late fees will be waived.
Borrow Direct, easyborrow and ILLiad
We are not able to fulfill BorrowDirect, easyBorrow or ILLiad requests at this time. While you may submit requests, they will be held for future processing. We will be reviewing this protocol in the coming weeks. Check here frequently for updates about Library services.
Online Course Reserves Access (OCRA)
OCRA will be useful to faculty and students as courses transition online. The Library is expediting requests, and can provide scanning of excerpts, ebooks, and streaming films– accessible to students from OCRA and Canvas.
Requesting Material from the Library Annex
Physical delivery of items from the Library Annex has been suspended until further notice. In the meantime, you may request scans by clicking the “scan” link in the item listing in Josiah, the Library catalog. We will conduct scans and deliver them to your email address in the order in which they are received, in as timely a manner as possible.
Expanded Access to Digital Content
As a response to the global COVID-19 pandemic, many of the Library’s content providers have expanded Brown’s access to digital content in order to support remote research, learning, and teaching. In addition to the 2 million+ digital books and journals available through the Library’s subscriptions, we are excited to share the following additional resources from our partners:
- Arcadian Library Online
- Berg Fashion Library
- Bloomsbury Applied Visual Arts
- Bloomsbury Architecture Library
- Bloomsbury Collections
- Bloomsbury Cultural History
- Bloomsbury Design Library
- Bloomsbury Education and Childhood Studies
- Bloomsbury Encyclopedia of Philosophers
- Bloomsbury Fashion Business Cases
- Bloomsbury Fashion Video Archive
- Bloomsbury Food Library
- Bloomsbury Medieval Studies
- Bloomsbury Popular Music
- Churchill Archive
- Drama Online
- Fashion Photography Archive
- Human Kinetics Library
- Screen Studies
- Theology & Religion Online
- Brepols – coming soon
- ROTUNDA (access via VPN only)
- Harvard Business Review ebooks – coming soon
Please check this page regularly for new content as it becomes available.
In addition to expanded access to subscribed content, many of our content providers have created resource guides on COVID-19 with links to freely accessible content. If you have any questions about researching the coronavirus, please contact your Subject Librarian.
- American College of Physicians
- Annals of Internal Medicine
- American Medical Association (JAMA Network)
- ASTM International
- Cochrane Library
- Edweek.org (access via VPN only)
- Elsevier – ScienceDirect
- Mary Ann Liebert
- New England Journal of Medicine
- Oxford University Press
- Project MUSE
- Taylor & Francis
Please check the University’s 2019 Novel Coronavirus Updates web page frequently for timely information.
Take good care and be well.