Through the month of August, join the Brown University Library in collecting paperback books for Providence Books Through Bars (Instagram tag @provbtb).
Providence Books Through Bars — a local, volunteer-led organization — fulfills book requests from incarcerated individuals throughout the country. See the list of the most requested books below.
Please bring paperback donations to the lobby of the Rockefeller Library, 10 Prospect Street, Providence, by August 30, 2022.
Thank you for donating to this local community organization!
Requested book genres (most needed in bold)
- How-to-draw, adult coloring, origami, calligraphy
- Fantasy and science fiction
- Graphic novels, manga, comics
- How to start a business (recent books, please)
- Games (chess, crosswords, Sudoku & puzzles)
- Self-help & inspirational
- Reference: dictionaries, almanacs, sign language, thesaurus, Spanish-English and other language dictionaries
- Basic books on grammar & writing
- Conspiracies, aliens and paranormal
- How-to for the trades (carpentry, etc.)
- Native American (history, culture and novels)
- Mexican/Mayan (history, culture and novels)
- Journals and sketchbooks – no spiral bound; hard cover is ok
- Living off the grid and survival
- Wicca, supernatural, dreams
- Science (especially biology, astronomy, anatomy)
- National Geographic magazines
- Paranormal fiction (vampires, werewolves, shapeshifters)
- Meditation & yoga
- Poetry anthologies
- Black/African history and culture
- Mythology (especially Norse, Viking and Egyptian)
- Gardening & horticulture (including eco living, living off the land)
- Mysteries, thrillers, best-sellers, horror & suspense novels
- Travel/places/cultures (paperback with pictures)
- How-to play an instrument, particularly guitar
- Legal self-help of relevance to incarcerated people