Myst was truly a new type of videogame experience for me, and I would like to draw some contrasts between my experience playing Myst and my experience reading  Patchwork Girl, because they both, to me, evoked a sense of directed disorientation.

The navigable space in Myst was first of all, much more manageable than in Patchwork Girl. This time, there wasn’t that much of a “create your own adventure” world which was, in my opinion, rather frustrating while reading Patchwork Girl. But what I found in playing Myst is that actually knowing what you have to do but not being able to actually do it was more frustrating. For example, I spent most of my time either looking for the switch to turn on the generator or trying to work out the musical notes to launch the space ship. I knew exactly what I had to do, but not being able to perform the action proved to be rather frustrating much like reading Patchwork Girl being frustrating but because you didn’t know where you were going.

Additionally, I would like to draw attention to the physical similarities that the player/reader experiences with the repeated clicking. I guess this is why, originally, I thought of comparing Patchwork Girl to Myst. I found that both physical experiences were similar in the sense that the screen plays the aggressive role that invites you to keep clicking and keep going whether you may be frustrated or not. The actual physical effort proves to be so small that we just keep going disregarding whether or not we may know where we are going or if we are just exploring.

I would also like to draw on the theme of exploration that was clear in both experiences. In this case, contrary to many games, there was not much of a backstory that allowed the player to know what to do or where to go much like Patchwork Girl only allowed the reader to know the general direction of the text which could change after any given click. This sense of complete unknown is rare in many games and in many literary pieces, and therefore makes these two pieces clearly stand out, but finally, although these parallels do exist I found myself enjoying the whole experience in Myst much more than in Patchwork Girl.