When I was first thrust into the world of Myst, I had no idea what to do. I did not know how to move around, where I was, where I was supposed to go, what I was supposed to do, etc. I didn’t know how to navigate this new space. But, over time, I got my bearings and things started to make sense. I wandered and eventually discovered that the mystery was deeper than figuring out what I was supposed to do, the game itself is about solving mysteries. These mysteries are layered on top of each other, each one a smaller part of another one, each solution just a piece of another problem, all leading up to the grand mystery that was the plot of the game (perhaps why the game was called “Myst”). I thought the way the elements of the game’s puzzles overlapped and layered was intriguing and I think it mirrors your relationship with the game and its narrative. The game functions as a heterotopia, with you occupying both your seat at the computer and wherever you are in the game simultaneously. In your mind, you are the character of the game; you place yourself in his situation and think as he would. You ARE him. Yet you are still sitting at your seat; you sometimes see your reflection in the screen, and for a second, your synonymy with the character is broken. These mysteries become your own, and it becomes difficult to separate what’s happening on the screen from what’s happening in your life at the time. The self becomes intertwined with the game and in this way you become linked with the narrative and the mysteries contained within.