I thought that Myst was interesting as an example of virtually constructed navigable space because I experienced it as very frustrating. Rather than “gliding” through the space as the Manovich article seemed to suggest, I found the movement jerky and uneven, and limited to the few options programed into the interface. This is opposed to the way that I think about the way that space can be navigated in more recent, more complex video games, where movement is less restricted, and more user motivated rather than interface motivated. In this way, I thought of developments in gaming technology as making virtual space more similar to the virtualized real space of UAV’s.
Gregory is clear in his distinction between “gaming” and piloting UAVs, even though they utilize similar virtual spatial constructions. The immersive experience of UAV piloting creates a continuous engagement with the field of battle which differs from the discontinuities of constructed space (the ability to pause, restart, “level up”). Similarly, the way of interacting with the drone-space interpolates the pilots into the space, collapsing the thousands of miles between Nevada and Pakistan or Afghanistan into 18 inches. Gregory links this spatial immersion to the higher recorded levels of PTSD in drone pilots. Given the similar interfaces of piloting UAV’s and video games, how do (if they do at all) drone pilots experience video games after “virtually” waging war over similar interfaces?