I thought the idea of new media being democratic was a very interesting point – especially when this idea was discussed in the greater cultural scheme of modern America.  Everyone uses SNS media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.): something happens and people go “Oh, I need to post that as my status.”  For those “everyone,” it seems like if you don’t check your Facebook for a day, you miss out on all the latest news on your friends, upcoming events, even people’s birthdays!  So, on one hand, we become so addicted to using these SNS (often run by companies) that, can we go so far as to say that we are dependent on these forms of media and, subsequently, the people and companies that run these media?

So, with that in mind, one of the most interesting points from this week’s readings comes from a early section in Manovich’s text that discusses the game, Doom.  “The producers define the basic structure of an object, and release a few examples as well as tools to allow consumers to build their own versions, to be shared with other consumers.”  These days, with so much emphasis on copyright laws, it’s hard to imagine a company, which by definition wants to make profit, allowing for hackers to share their own versions of games (or other kinds of media).  Yet, some of these still exist: for example, there’s a still-existing unofficial online community of programmers and gamers who discuss and share their own versions of Phoenix Wright, a Nintendo DS game.  What struck me is that they are an unofficial community and not affiliated with the original producers.  Here, with Doom, the producers are essentially encouraging this sharing of the game.