Prior to reading the Keenan piece, I had never considered why Microsoft Windows was named windows or why we open up new “windows” online. A video that I found on the subject explains that the company went with the name because it was “more visual and user-friendly and more accurately described the graphical boxes or “windows” that were a fundamental part of Microsoft’s new operating system.”  Keenan asks in what direction the windows face, whether they are looking out into the world or whether they intrude into the home “opening them up and facilitating the arrival of the image and the other.” It is clear that Microsoft aimed to establish a space within users’ homes in which they could not only bring in images of the outside world but to gain an intimate view into the homes as well. The windows that we open on web browsers have taken the place of the “disappearing public realm” that a political theorist described. The ability to open more than window gives the sense of a community or companionship and is also a signifier of busy-ness. These windows, more than proffering a static view or portrait in the traditional sense, offer literally everything that is  imaginable on earth and can bring light but often bring the darkness that was described in Tuesday’s reading on the personal and public cyber divide.

“A Rape in Cyberspace” was disturbing and thought provoking. I thought for a while about the ways the we can quantify rape and what it means to be violated. I have always held that there can exist a divide between the world of the personal mind in regards to sexual desire and actions, mainly pertaining to pornographic consumption. But the parallel between the VR and RL seems strikingly similar with the important distinction that the interaction  happens between two actors, rather than a person and a non-responsive video simulation. The hazy area of online trolling and bullying is one that I do not believe can be regulated in a top-down fashion as other things are and I have witnessed and been a part of online communities that successfully regulate and police infractions.