The most engaging reading from this week for me was Galloway’s “Gamic Action”. Video games are so often in my generation understood as yet another form of child’s play, but Galloway really threw that assumption into relief. I appreciated the way he analyzed the terms “play” and “game” itself through examining video games as a medium as opposed to a form of “play”. When we think of standard video games such as Super Mario or Grand Theft Auto, rarely do we critically acknowledge the fact that the machine is as important to the “play” as the gaming operator is. I especially liked Galloway’s discussion of culture and how it is both manifested and developed through video gaming. The example of the arcade versus the home console and computer games really stuck with me. The fact that arcade games are specifically configured, through narratives of “lives”, to profit off of the player in short intervals demonstrates the gaming culture’s inherent connection to a “real world” economy. While you may be suspended from reality in a game, these examples make me wonder how much a game is really removed from the “real world”? How much of gaming involves secondary realities?