In the Intro to “Raw Data”, Lisa Gitelman and Virginia Jackson claim that “we are also subject to data.” (2) I think this is the most engaging quote in the text for several reasons. One of the first points they make with regard to data is that “at first glance, data are apparently before the fact: they are the starting point for what we know, who we are, and how we communicate.” (2) Data is always commonly understood through its ability to “prove” or “demonstrate” an already given existence or fact. However, what the authors brilliantly address is the fact that in order for data to exist, we must exist. Data has to be collected. Data has to be manipulated to tell a story. It is in this sense that we are “subject to data”. This argument makes me think of another course I took this semester on an HBO series called The Wire. References to statistics and numbers are sprinkled in throughout the series with regard to policy making and police enforcement specifically. What the numbers demonstrate on the show is that their human element is consistently ignored. I think that human element is what makes data so manipulatable so that “scientific knowledge is produced – rather than innocently ‘discovered’.” (4)  Rather than objective, as it is commonly presented, data has an outstanding subjective quality to it.