The screenings of I Love Alaska brought up a lot of pressing questions for me. How vulnerable are we all to such scrutiny? We expose ourselves on the internet—our identities, personal failures, worries, dark secrets—without realizing the potential effect. What about how vulnerable are celebrities with more at stake and further public interest? All the data that is input cannot be lost forever. Is it implausible that someone could eventually get a hold of google? Entire lives could be ruined, relationships destroyed, all on a legal basis of what google is allowed to do with the data they’ve stored. When it comes down to it, could this cause a perhaps more dangerous and very personal type of warfare?

This idea is further elaborated in Boyd’s article on social networking sites. Who gets to mediate these new networked publics, deciding what we see and don’t see? It is certainly a powerful position. When does what we thought was private cross the boundary into public? And if so, would it be illegal? The boundaries are thinner in a network. In the past, unmediated publics were all that existed and are limited to those who witness events and limited by physical boundaries. Mediated publics is not limited by such, the scale of the public is immediately changing. To me it seems, searchability is vulnerability? Is there a potentially terribly intimate and dangerous future of networked publics?