A theme that constantly comes up throughout the course is the idea that digital media possesses qualities of “wonderful creepiness.” I have interpreted that the majority of these feelings of creepiness stems from the subjects of technology — the people who use the technologies themselves — and the façade they/us can hide behind. When using digital media, there is a certain degree of anonymity and mystery that real life cannot provide.

After readings and hearing more in lecture about how digital media imagines navigable spaces, thus distorting the actual spaces in which we exist outside of cyberspace, I find the literal structure of digital media creepier than the people using it. What seems creepy to me about emerging forms of media is that – as the readings exemplified – the imagined cyberspaces and Internet world we have imagined, are restructuring and puncturing our reality – the non-virtual world we exist within. “The Politics of Public Space in the Media City” piece showcased the manifestation of new media within architectural structures, exemplifying just how intertwined and inseparable digital media functions in our day-to-day lives. The idea that these new technologies have become in part an aspect of the present day’s natural background was particularly creepy to me, because I have always imagined backgrounds as a type of existence without an origin. Backgrounds seem to have always been and always will be. What makes digital media creepy then is that we know it definitely has not always been around, but we treat it as though it has. It has quickly yet quietly crept into society’s very existence that it is no longer a separate entity, rather, it pervades in every aspect of our lives from politics, to science, to literature.