I grew up playing Myst with my dad and my twin sister, and it was pretty drastically different from any other video game I played as a kid. The most dramatic difference I felt was the loneliness and individuality of the main character. This is due in part to the opening scene of falling through the Myst and landing somewhere completely along without other inhabitants, but also to the general atmosphere of the island, colors, and environment as a whole. Additionally, unlike many games I played where worlds overlapped in characteristics and used characters and objects as “fillers” so to speak, Myst seemed to have a purpose to every single addition to the game. The worlds were incredibly elaborate and planned out, so that¬†everything placed in them was a new piece of information to help you move through the game. I remember reaching the 2nd and 3rd worlds of Myst eventually, but it took a lot of teamwork between my sister and I to read the clues and continue on–additionally a lot of frustration when we couldn’t move forward (and maybe a few hints from my dad).

I’m curious as to how this lonely, mysterious (no pun intended) navigable space reflects the new worlds that cyberspace has opened up for new media and new generations. How will worlds like the one in Myst start to play a role in reality? Certainly, when one is playing the game of Myst, it is immersive enough to almost replace reality briefly. What does this mean for the potential impact of the battle between cyberspace (hyperreal) and reality (real)?