Playing Myst in lab this week, I found myself thinking about how groundbreaking it must have been when it was first released. As someone who has grown up with increasingly complex and beautifully rendered video games, I was surprised by the graphics that I experienced in Myst. Although they weren’t particularly refined in comparison to current games, I had expected a game released before I was born to be much less smooth. Granted, Myst has no people in it (apart from the video messages) and movement is one step, or screen, at a time, meaning that intricate facial features or seamless navigation was not necessary as it is now. However, this did not lessen the experience for me and I tried to put myself in the context of people who experienced this when it was first released in 1993. In this way, I felt all the more amazed by the game and enjoyed playing the game quite a bit.

Additionally, Manovich’s discussion of Navigable Space in relation to Myst made me consider the importance of movement and motion in regards to computers, games, and digital media as a whole. The creation of the world in Myst, in comparison to earlier text-based games, is, in a way, a creation of a false space in which the player can move and interact. As a result, it becomes something of a second world in which the player can do what they want, within the confines of the game’s world, rules, and programming. This creation of a separate space allows a sense of escapism and separates the player from the world around them, creating a model for the current video games which seek to create an immersive experience for the gamer.