If the perception of navigating through virtual space is convincing enough, can it be as important as navigation through ephemeral space? Going through Myst, I (as I tend to feel in general when on the sheep shaver), generally disoriented. Myst teleports you through space based on the action of clicks. Each click takes you several frames to the next perceived location. Each click ends with a need to readjust and reaffirm my current position. The Myst creators offer visual hints in each new frame that suggest motion, but the teleportation of frame to frame still feels disorienting. In a way, each click feels like a new world with relative notions between each click. The convincingness of a space seems to correlate to how convinced I can be to the act of motion.
Manovich cites several instances of vision paired with technologies to convince navigable space. Legible City is an excellent example of this. Motion of a stationary bicycle paired with the illusion of motion creates a truly navigable space. If navigable space is a product of action, as Manovich suggests, then the bicycle is the vehicle of action. Waliczky’s Forest also suggests this notion of motion. The viewer is attached to a machine that moves in action. Shaw’s EVE and Place:A user’s manual are other prime examples but in a different way. These force the users commitment to be convinced by the illusion of motion. A simulator is based on the projection of one person with a helmet, the other viewer’s must follow the motion of the one helmet in order to be convinced.