In a way, games like World of Warcraft (not just MMO’s but ones that specifically involve tasks) are an extreme illustration of free labor. World of warcraft is presented as a massive fictional landscape, where your character exists in as a mimicry of life with a fantastical add-on. Yet the gameplay largely follows a structure that looks like work. It is not only working fro free, but there is literally no outcome. It is work as play.

Dyer-Witherford’s Piece explains the manifestation of Biopower in games such as WOW. In my experience of playing the game I had a set of instructions and did small tasks for these fake people (creatures.) I really enjoyed myself for some reason. However, I cannot really understand why. If I had to do these tasks in real life( for example go speak to someone that someone told me to speak to, or grab some objects for someone) I would have been quite frustrated, yet in this virtual world I did them with such zeal. As Dyer-Witherford points out, the life force of WOW is a corporation and every user is essentially their worker. What is the desire to keep completing the tasks?

The currency a player receives is part of an economy of adrenaline. Right after I complete a quest I am immediately congratulated, and given a new object. The newness I experience at that moment is one of a new graphic. A change of the screen colors. It is a small rush of satisfaction. enough to drive me to the next task. This small rush is basically what drives the game, and some people into addiction. This rush also happens when you get a match on tinder, or a notification on Facebook- the immediate feeling you get.