While playing World of Warcraft today, I was obviously thinking about the¬†Dyer-Witheford and de Peuter reading, particularly the part focusing on biopower. Somehow biopower is a key term in three of my classes this semester, so I have spent a lot of time reading about it and discussing it in varying contexts. In AIDS in Global Perspective, we discuss government control of the AIDS epidemic, and in Intro to Gender and Sexuality Studies we discuss practices such as choosing who can reproduce in a population or even positive things such as vaccinations as examples of biopower. Today in my lab for Digital Media, I got a completely new example of biopower in playing World of Warcraft. The management of race and class in the game acts as a microcosm for real world practices of biopower. The fact that players make decisions about their character’s appearance which will affect their experience in the game mimics the way in which the government or other powerful entities sometimes choose the fate of people based on their characteristics (race, mental ability, etc). I think it’s interesting that the game is set up this way, allowing players to practice population control and experience its effects on important aspects of the game (strength, stamina, intellect, etc). It’s a light-hearted representation of a sometimes much more serious practice.