This week’s focus on surveillance shed a new light on the topic for me. I have never been concerned about my privacy online, and to be honest, after learning about all of the issues and Ed Snowden’s work, I am still not too concerned about it. I have never felt restricted by the fact that the government or other organizations can access what I say or how I behave. Yet, I do understand how this capture of information can become a major violation of privacy and liberty rights of citizens.

What I do find more intriguing is anonymity. In Citizenfour, the matter of personality and identity surfaced numerous times, emphasizing that anyone can paint one’s “personality” from the information being collected, such as credit card transactions and online conversation metadata. On the other hand, in the article “Our Weirdness is Free,” Coleman illustrates how the Internet allows for an anonymity that puts the spotlight more on the act rather than the person’s character. Just as Ed Snowden managed to stay as an anonymous source for a few days during the incident, the multiple layers of media and cyberspace of the Internet allows for people to stay without name or specific identity; this balance between public and private reflects the tension between the content and the character.

Another point that I found interesting from Coleman’s piece was the use of languages such as “lulz.” Though I am exposed to the use of such words and the so described “trolls” on the Internet, I have never associated them with political action or masked people. With these characteristics of anonymous users, I agree that it is extremely easy for these Anons to become offensive and hurt others.