I was intrigued by Beltran’s essay this week as it reminded me of a few things. First of all, I went to the only school among a circle of elite private schools in Atlanta (and I’m assuming therefore Georgia) that accepted undocumented immigrants. My school was the liberal, “hippy” school and even had a club called Student Dreamers and Allies, in which students “outed” themselves as undocumented described in the paper, and even went on to do so at rallies and in interviews. I always thought this concept was really interesting: that the status of these people was technically illegal but they were taking control of it and making it their own. When reading this paper, I made the connection between the idea of “queering” democracy and immigration to the idea of “queering feminism” I have encountered in my Intro to Gender and Sexuality Studies class. This concept was explained to me as women taking control of the word feminism and reinterpreting it so as to empower themselves, just as homosexuals have done with the word “queer”. It’s interesting to think that this may be what my classmates were doing by proclaiming their undocumented status and using it as a source of empowerment and a jumping off point for activism. I also think the use of social media in this movement is really interesting, because it projects something that is technically illegal to even more people and owns the ridiculous lawlessness of it. Social media seems like it would be a really important contributor to queering movements as the more people that agree to take over the meaning of a word or concept and reinterpret it the stronger the new meaning becomes, and we all know the best way to reach the masses is through social media.