I thought the lecture on Monday was particularly interesting as it got me thinking about why we feel the way we do about being surveilled. Big data is used to track us by companies like Netflix and Amazon to pinpoint our taste. Many consumers definitely feel violated by the tracking that the companies do, but some, like me, enjoying finishing an episode of Parks and Recreation and getting the recommendation to watch The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt based on our taste. However, when this surveillance goes from private to public, from companies like Netflix to the US government, more and more people feel violated by it. Although the data is gathered differently, from tracking your clicks to monitoring phone calls and even visually observing via drones, it can provide equally intimate information. People often enjoy having their internet activity guided and continue to use Amazon, etc even after discovering their use of big data, but in situations like that portrayed in Citizen Four in which the extent of government knowledge is revealed there is immediate backlash. We are equally minimized into statistically predictable minorities by all the entities we pour our information into, so why is this ok when it involves the TV shows we watch or books we buy and a violation when it comes to our mundane phone calls or routes to work?