Cramer’s “What Is ‘Post-Digital’?” was a reading that I could relate to my own life and personal view of today’s digital media. The beginning sections that describe the phenomenon of hipster’s reversion back to the analog and “old media” and shows how this action has become more than a fad, but an actual historical transition. The section regarding the “Disenchantment with the ‘Digital'” was most interesting to me because the term “disenchantment” is the exact word I would use to describe my own feelings towards the internet and rise of New Media. The digital world is a space that I have never fully devoted myself to, but I still encounter it constantly everyday of my life. The overwhelming abundance of the digital in day-to-day living has made me enjoy the retro methods of hipsters and fans of old media who choose to revert back to past, analog devices. In our course, we have been learning about the transition from the analog to the digital and the importance digital media now has in society, but the up and coming mixture of old and new is another integral transition in media’s development. Cramer describes his term “post-digital” as “a contemporary disenchantment with digital information systems and media gadgets, or a period in which our fascination with these systems and gadgets has become historical,” (Cramer 701). The disenchantment that the introduction of digital media created is the realization that this new technology and method does not make what was once hard, easy, but rather adds a new level of complication and “is another thing to deal with,” (701).

I share the same idea Cramer has regarding the new “post digital” and find this topic very interesting. I myself reject the full emersion of digital media and devices in the everyday, and would say I’ve realized that the digital’s promise of simplicity and efficiency has been abandoned. Having said this, I do realize the necessity every citizen has to digital devices and a complete reversal back to the analog years would create complete chaos in our contemporary world. Or would it? Is our need for the digital actually dire because of how popular and influential it has become or is this notion of necessity simply imaginary and induced by the digital devices we use?