In the Cramer piece there is a quote from Martha Jurksaitis: “[I]n this so-called ‘digital age’ people are more and more drawn to things that they can materially connect with….”  This got me thinking about vinyl’s recent resurgence in the music marketplace.  As overall music sales, especially digital sales, have declined in recent years, vinyl sales were up 49% in 2014.  Vinyl’s market share is still very minor—around 2% of total music sales—but it, along with total sales, is slowly growing back from its low point in the late 1990s.  I think it’s safe to toss out the argument of superior quality that Cramer points to on P. 704.  We’re at a point now when full quality digital media is just as good as analog.  Vinyl doesn’t necessarily sound any better than .wav, digital photos can be just as high quality as film, etc.  This wasn’t true 10 years ago, but it is now.  I also don’t think the question of why creators opt for analog is one that really needs to be asked—plenty of creators, myself included, like to be in the world with their work.  They like using their hands, and having real-world control.  It’s why I buy analog synths, why a photographer opts for a film camera.  But the question of why consumers care—why vinyl is making a comeback—is an interesting one to me.  I think chalking it up to a collector’s mindset, or a purist mindset, falls short of explaining the 9.2 million records sold in 2014.  So yeah, I don’t know.  I guess I’m just circling back on what the reading already said.  But it’s a question I kick around in my head quite often, one that I still haven’t been able to solve.