For the first time since starting Brown and the MCM program I’m feeling compelled to ask the questions, why are we studying this? It’s not because of some disillusionment with semiotics or critical theory that I’m questioning what has been so compelling for me the past two years, but rather because MCM230 was the first course in which I felt I had to negotiate “real life” and theory. I’m also not saying that theory isn’t “real life,” but I do think it’s easy to get caught up in the critical analysis of something and forget that it is actually a real thing, like Facebook or Myst. Digital Media seemed practical¬†in a way other courses maybe haven’t been. The everyday-ness/ubiquity of the texts and objects we studied felt satisfying because we were calling into question actions and interactions that we completely take for granted in our everyday, digital lifestyles. So have I answered the “why” of MCM? Nope, not at all. But I at least think the appearance of that question in my conscious is a useful first step. Because ultimately, why would I study something that has no use? I’m feeling very preoccupied in other aspects of my life with the productiveness of things I do, so figuring out exactly how MCM is productive seems like an important goal right now, especially as I’m about to complete the first half of my time here at Brown. Two years left to find the answer to that question…