When Professor Chun talked about Mother in her lecture in March, it reminded me of the Ray Bradbury short story “There Will Come Soft Rains,” which describes an automatically functioning house in the fallout of a nuclear holocaust and its subsequent destruction in a fire. The eeriness of the story comes from the description of the automatic toaster, self-cleaning oven, and operator-less vacuum as they continue to operate without their creators. And while Mother is one step behind Bradbury’s vision of the “house of the future,” it still presents many similar implications. What would happen if Mother became widespread? After a certain period of time, people would stop looking at it as strange–it might even become ubiquitous; a fact of life. In this case, the smartphone-centered trend in technological overhaul of day-to-day tasks would become even more far-reaching. I am offering this thought as a slight condemnation of the degree to which we rely on forces outside our own control to manage the lives that very much determine our happiness and sense of the world at large. To me, the very idea of a machine called “Mother” was nothing short of disturbing.