“at the periphery, an annular building; at the centre, a tower; this tower is pierced with wide windows that open onto the inner side of the ring; the peripheric building is divided into cells, each of which extends the whole width of the building.” This was somewhat alarming to read, because this description of Foucault’s panopticon could honestly be mistaken for a description of my dorm building, Barbour Hall. (Sans the tower). The building is ring shaped (annular) with a space in the middle (courtyard). Everyone is constantly watching each other from their building-wide cells (the rooms are the width of the interior courtyard). There is even a hierarchy of power, in that depending on which floor you live on, the angle can be such that you can see everyone else but no one can see you (top floor) and vice versa at the bottom. I live in, possibly the most exposed room in the building, it is the only one on the bottom floor. I can barely see into any of the other rooms, while everyone, this entire year, has been able to peer down and watch my roommates and I live our lives. “He is seen, but he does not see.” – Foucault, page 200. At first it was incredibly unnerving but we all adjusted, even becoming friends with some of the people that have direct views into our suite. It still disturbs me every time I go to one of the upper floor rooms and look down at my bed, thinking of all the people who could so easily watch me sleep. This year I have been constantly surveyed, with no way of knowing who is surveying. I have lived the panopticon experience. Thank you Brown University, for this year-long, hands on lesson in constructing modes of power.