It was interesting to read the point about the post-digital age being partially exemplified in a move past the digital aesthetic of blue as a cool, medium defining (or maybe not defining, perhaps reflecting?) color, mostly because I think this is something that I’ve always recognized but never seen legitimized and proclaimed in such a straightforward manner. For example, in both the original and the remake of TRON, the majority of the environments are blue. (although I think The Matrix may have introduced/helped inseminate green as a color people myself included associate with digital-ness as well). Yes, digital spaces portrayed in pop culture will most likely be blue. And know I understand it is because blue literally is the coolest color in the color spectrum. But why does blue convey cleanness? Do we associate the cold with clean?

I think that the post-punk metaphor is a good one in terms of explaining the idea that we are very much still a culture that is digitally focused (or obsessed) but that we have moved onto a distinct new stage of said foes or obsession. I also enjoy Cascone’s understanding of post-digital as a reference to an era wherein the disruption brought upon by digital information technology is no longer perceived as disruptive.

Also interesting was the highlighting of the year 1990 as the split of how people being born would perceive the internet, those after it seeing the network as a largely corporate entity.

I felt that the argument that there is no such thing as digital aesthetics because we can only perceive information as analog, was a bit unnecessarily literal, and not really productive in terms of discussing aesthetics, only productive possibly in exploring the schism of analog vs. digital.