Glass Animals, “Gooey”

Name: Yueping Wang

Song title: Gooey

Song artist: Glass Animals

Web link for song:

Text of chorus:

Right, my little pooh bear, wanna take a chance?
Wanna sip this smooth air, kick it in the sand
I’d say I told you so but you just gonna cry
You just wanna know those peanut butter vibes

My, my simple sir, this ain’t gonna work
Mind my wicked words and tipsy topsy slurs
I can’t take this place,no I can’t take this place
I just wanna go where I can get some space

1a. MELODY –  arc

1b. MELODY – disjunct

2. SCALE/KEY – minor

3. HARMONY – consonant

4a. RHYTHM – quadruple meter ( I know we introduced duple and triple in class but the beats just felt more consistent when grouped in four, so I’d rather put quadruple here. Could be wrong~)

4b. RHYTHM – syncopations, and if so, where:

5a. TEMPO – largo or lento

5b. TEMPO – no change

6a. DYNAMICS – mezzo piano

6b. DYNAMICS – crescendo

7. TEXTURE – homophonic

8. PHRASES AND FORM – AABA

9. INSTRUMENTATION – instruments heard accompanying the vocal line:

An intricate mix of percussion instruments including a drum set(with significant use of base drum and cymbals, possibly a xylophone as well. Also a lot of electronic music.

10. TEXT SETTING – in a few sentences, discuss how these musical details seem to fit the meaning of the text or the overall mood of the song:

The tempo is kept slow and the pitches are gently disjoint in order to create an exotic and mysterious feeling, as if one is to explore an unknown jungle. The lyrics is sang in a paced and laid-back manner, vocally corresponding to the “gooey” impression.

This song also has a frequently alternating temple and dynamics, although the peak and base are in a moderated range.The temple also aligns with the heart beat and movement of human body.

1 thought on “Glass Animals, “Gooey”

1. Yueping, “Gooey” is definitely an appropriate name for this song. The way the singer sings the lyrics and almost slurs them gives them that unique “peanut butter vibe.” Also the electronic sounds you identified in the instrumentation section have a bubbly sound to them which further contributes to the feel of the song.

To clarify the meter of the song, what you identified as quadruple meter is correct — the time signature is 4/4 where the top number means there are four beats in a bar and the bottom number means the quarter note takes the beat (a quarter or ” one fourth” of a whole). While one could say quadruple meter is just two measures of duple meter added together, there’s is an important distinction that makes your answer more technically accurate. Duple meter implies that the strongest beat occurs on every two beats whereas quadruple meter implies that the strongest beat occurs on every four beats. While we acknowledge that the third beat in every bar of this 4/4 song has some amount of strength, it’s clear that the strongest beat occurs at the first beat of every measure.

Hope that helps — good job!