7 dos and don’ts for completing the Pre-College application

Whether you’ve previously applied to a Pre-College program or it’s your first time, there are a few important things to keep in mind when filling out this year’s application. Here, admission and enrollment specialists offers their dos and don’ts for making the Pre-College application process a smooth one.

DO Know your program

There are always a handful of students who mistakenly choose the wrong program on their application, leading to requests to change their selection. Knowing the correct name of the program, and why you want to apply to it, before you begin the application will avoid unnecessary confusion and backtracking.

DON’T Take the process lightly

Brown Pre-College Programs are an opportunity for students to prepare to attend college and it all starts with the application. Take the pre-college application as seriously as you would a college application: read it over for errors and make sure everything is completely filled out before hitting submit.

DO Take the essay seriously

The essay portion of the application is an important one. Several people, including staff from the Pre-College admission team, program directors and the associate dean might look at your essay, so make sure it’s well-written and represents your best thinking. A good essay should be approximately 500 words, have a narrative and clear argument, correct grammar, and clean formatting. And under no circumstances is it ever acceptable to plagiarize: we want to learn about you and how you think, so sharing your own thoughts is incredibly important. Also, if you are caught, your application may be denied.

DON’T Confuse the program with your desired course

Once accepted to the program, it’s not time to sit back and relax. The most popular courses fill up months in advance, so once you are notified of your acceptance, pay your enrollment deposit and enroll in your desired course(s) right away to ensure your spot.

DO Submit early

All applications are reviewed within two weeks of submission, but that may not be the end of the process. Following review, you may be contacted to provide additional materials, like a current grade report or letter of recommendation. The earlier you submit your materials, the sooner you will receive an admission decision and be able to pick your classes.

DON’T Forget to check in after submitting

Email and the application portal are the primary means by which the Pre-College team will communicate with you throughout the pre- and post-application process. So check those often to make sure you don’t miss anything.

DO check out available cost-saving options

Financial aid is available for Pre-College Programs in the form of both an application fee waiver (requested during the application process) and the Dean’s Scholarship (applied for after acceptance). For more information, including eligibility requirements, visit our website

21 Comments Add yours

1. Wei-Chuang Hu says:

Dear Sir/ Madame,

We have two queries below:
    – we are interested in applying two weekly courses within one week, for example: diplomacy & Intro to computer aided design & 3D printing; or Writing seminar & Intro to Engineering & Design. Please advise if this is feasible.

– if we are applying for two courses attending within one week , should we submit two different essays for different courses

Grateful for your advice.

2. mperkin3@brown.edu says:

Hello! Thanks for your questions.

Only one essay is required; feel free to reference both courses in one essay. Students apply to a program and if admitted, they are eligible to register for open courses. Students are allowed to take up to two courses at a time in any available week.

If you have any other questions or would like more clarification on these two feel free to reach out to our Program Advisors at (401) 863-7900 or precollege@brown.edu. They will be happy to help!

Thanks!

3. Adam Riley says:

Hello!

I have a few basic questions regarding the application: is a/are letter(s) of recommendation required? If so, how should they be submitted? Additionally, as a current high school junior, am I expected to submit my full transcript (freshman, sophomore, current years) with the inclusion of grades from the current semester?

Thanks in advance!

4. mperkin3@brown.edu says:

Hello! Thank you for your question. As a current high school junior please included current junior year grades as well as sophomore year. Letters of recommendation are not required for most programs. If you have any other questions or would like more clarification on these two feel free to reach out to our Program Advisors at (401) 863-7900 or precollege@brown.edu. They will be happy to help!

Thanks!

5. Vichelle Guirao says:

Hi! What is included in the course fee for a 2-week residential program?

6. mperkin3@brown.edu says:

Please see our policies page: https://precollege.brown.edu/policies/#financial, as well as our dates and fees: https://precollege.brown.edu/dates-tuition/. If you have any other questions or would like more clarification feel free to reach out to our Program Advisors at (401) 863-7900 or precollege@brown.edu. They will be happy to help!

7. Mariyah Arif says:

Hi! I am a student counseler at the Learning Alliance, Lahore, Pakistan. Our student Noor Ul Ain Majeed has created an application on your portal with the username noorulain.majeed161@gmail.com. She has also made the requisite payment; her application was pending as your team was unable to get through to her professor for a recommendation. She promptly updated the email address and I forwarded the recommendation via email (from the address career.counseling@learningalliance.edu.pk) but she has yet to receive a confirmation regarding the completion of her application. I would be much obliged if you could check the status from your end and update us accordingly or let us know an alternate email where we can send any pending items.

We have been emailing at precollege.brown.edu but have not received a reply yet, we have also been unable to get through on your helpline (401) 863-7900.

Thank you for your help, I look forward to hearing from you!
    Regards,
    Mariyah Arif

8. mperkin3@brown.edu says:

I have reached out to Program Services and you should hear from them shortly. Thank you!

9. Rachna Gemawat says:

Hello,

We had previously applied for the summer program and my child was accepted. Unfortunately he could attend it last year. This year we want to apply again. My question was whether we use the same username and password or register again as a new user.
    Thankyou !!

10. mperkin3@brown.edu says:

Yes! You should be able to reuse the same username and password you did last year. If you have any other questions or would like more clarification feel free to reach out to our Program Advisors at (401) 863-7900 or precollege@brown.edu. They will be happy to help!

11. Rafael W says:

Hi, my name is Rafael, and I live in Canada. I’m planning to apply for the STEM program, but right now I’m in grade 7, and I’m turning 13 next July, so can I apply for this program? If not, is there any programs that I am able to attend? Thanks in advance!

12. Margaret says:

Hello Rafael! Thank you for reaching out. Unfortunately, you must be at least 14 to attend any of our summer programs. We hope you apply in the future!

13. Andrew says:

Hey my name is Andrew. And I was just wondering if it was too late to apply to the the Summer@Brown. Because I know it is January and I’m not sure if there is still space left. I am really interested in the philosophy department and I do know that it fills up quickly!

14. Margaret says:

Hello Andrew! Yes, there is still plenty of time to apply. Visit our website for more information.

15. Vyshak Paruchuri says:

Hi, I actually have my finals after my winter break, and therefore I am unable to turn my transcript in with my application. Is it possible for me to use grades from latter years instead? I am a high school Sophomore and I can give my freshman grades and my 8th grade transcripts at this time, but I need to wait a while for my sophomore grades to come in and I don’t want my program to be filled up by the time I apply. Thanks in advance!

16. Margaret says:

Hello!
    We are unable to review applications unless they contain grades from the current academic year. Please note, you are welcome to turn in progress reports in lieu of a formal transcript. Programs typically don’t start filling until February and that this requirement is for ALL applicants.

If you have any other questions or would like more clarification feel free to reach out to our Program Advisors at (401) 863-7900 or precollege@brown.edu.

17. Jenni says:

Hello,

My name is Jenni and I would like to know if you can give some tips on writing good essays for the application as they play a role in representing who the students are as individuals and determining whether or not they’re truly suitable for this program.

18. Amber Liang says:

Hi, I would like to apply for a summer at Brown course. In the application, it says that it requires grades from the previous two years and your current grades for 2018-2019. However, two years ago, I lived in NY and I moved to MD last year before freshman year. I contacted my NY middle school to try and get my transcript, but they said it would take a while to get the transcript for my 8th grade grades. What should I do? Thanks

19. Natalia Pira says:

Hello, did anyone have trouble while doing the application? I finished writing everything, but it appears to say that it is only 99% completed. Did anyone else have this problem?

20. Margaret says:

Hello!

Please reach out to our Program Advisors at (401) 863-7900 or precollege@brown.edu. They will help with any issues you might be experiencing!